Google just announced the official and final list of accepted students for the SoC program. KDE got more accepted students this year than past, so its a big success for us all. This will hopefully again be a successful SoC season for KDE, bringing new contributors and implementing lots of cool ideas.
The KDevelop team got its share too, 2 students will work on the codebase. Aleix Pol is going to improve the community integration in KDevelop, targeting things such as easily finding the communication channels, easily getting the source and contributing patches back to the community. The other is improving the Quanta codebase (that is based on KDevPlatform like KDevelop) to bring it closer to a first release, this will be done by Milian Wolff. This is a very important SoC project for all of KDE as it’ll revive a very successful KDE3 app and the voting clearly showed that there are many people missing it badly.
I’m looking forward to the coding period and the results and hope that I’ll enjoy this SoC as mentor just like the past ones.
This blog entry is a supplemental to the KDevelop 4.0 release announcement to show off the new stable release with some nice screenshots. So enjoy :)
This time around svn got me, I’ve used the createtarball script from kdesdk to generate the RC2 tarballs so we ship translations. This worked just fine, except that for some unknown reason svn likes to not check out svn:externals when doing an svn co of kdevplatform.
This resulted in a kdevplatform tarball (yes I didn’t test-compile them as it was rather late already) that didn’t contain the expandingtree subdir in plugins/quickopen.
As (silently) updating 2 days old tarballs has proven to be a bit problematic in the past, I’ve decided to just push in another RC which fixes exactly this problem.
So tarballs for a working fresh RC for kdevelop and kdevplatform should be available from the mirrors in a few hours (and yes, this time I’ve built them on 3 systems to make sure they work).
Finally getting around to blog about this.
We’ve released RC1 of KDevelop4 today. We’ve fixed a couple of bugs and got some good performance improvements, but even more will be in RC2. RC2 will also ship with translations, for RC1 we’ve discovered a severe problem that we couldn’t fix anymore in time related to translations.
On behalf of Milian and Niko we’re also releasing the first release candidate of the PHP plugins, bringing great web development to kdevelop.
The tarballs can be found on all KDE mirrors.
Note that I had to update the php tarballs yesterday. I forgot to increase the kdevelop plugin version in their desktop files before uploading and hence they wouldn’t have been loaded with kdev4 rc1.
To make sure you’ve got the right ones the md5sums for those two are: