Finally, after about 3 weeks of work I’ve been able to merge back the new launch framework for KDevelop4.
The rework was needed because the existing gui and framework didn’t allow for enough flexibility for more complex cases like remote-gdb debugging, or debugging webpages. Also it forced the user to store its configurations inside a project.
I’m too tired right now to create screenshots, but there’s also not that much to see besides a new treeview in the relevant dialog that lists the configs.
If you want to try it out, just svn up. Please note that there are a few minor gui bugs that I need to fix in the next 2 days as well as dependencies not working at all. Everything else should work (oh yeah, valgrind plugin is currently not working either). If you find bugs I’d kindly ask you to report them on IRC or better the kdevelop-devel mailinglist and not yet on bugzilla so we’re not flooded with new bugs and need to do another 2 days triaging session just to find out what obvious ones we fixed already. Give me a week or two to hammer out the obvious bugs and then feel free to send all your wishes and bugs via bugzilla.
Beware: only little to no KDE content…
Finally after about 5 and a half year since I last bought new PC hardware I got myself some “more power”. That last one was my first laptop ever and those who where with me last year in munich know how old it felt (slow, only 1 hour battery life….). In fact ever since I’ve been using computers this is my first completely-self-paid PC, all other were either the old machine(s) of my dad or uncle that they spend or I did partial upgrades…
I actually didn’t spend too much attention to the actual specs, partly because I don’t care too much – anything in the mid-range is just fine – and partly because nowadays I have little clue about what is the latest coolest . The little attention I paid to the details already got back at me, first I needed 30 minutes to figure out how to get network running under linux (Realtek r8168 chipset onboard, the r8169 driver was loaded but it doesn’t support this one, solution was using r1000), then I realized after some checks that I seem to have gotten the same 2 disks even though I wanted to get two different ones from two different vendors (you know, reducing the failure-possibility a bit). Turns out Seagate and Maxtor are the same nowadays and my two disks only differ in one number. Nothing major though, thus far.
I actually got it yesterday and spend 4 hours trying to get a barely usable windows on it. The last 3 hours were spent with choosing the bare minimum of software (and devel packages for KDE4) and some copying around of /home stuff from my other machine(s). In the next couple of hours this machine will checkout trunk/ and build it (hopefully at least), after that I’m all set basically. Thats what I call a system installation :) (I guess I need another 3 or 4 nights to get the windows partition up to speed).
Oh and for those of you interested the specs: Intel Quad Core 2.6GHz, Gigabyte board, 4G RAM, 2x500GB disks, lg dvd rom, nice-looking enermax case and an nvidia 9800 graphics card (I still hope intel will release a good one some day along with proper drivers, but so far nvidia seems at least to catch up better with problems raised by new X/KDE4 features).
Last but not least: Compared to both my old laptop and my work-laptop this baby is damn fast. Installing about 1GB of packages took 5 minutes or so (including me reading and answering a couple of debconf questions).