I’m Mentor again this year in Google’s Summer of Code. I’m again mentoring a KDevelop4 project, the title is: xUnit test harness for KDevelop4.
Manuel Breugelmans was chosen do to the project, he’s a student at the university of Antwerp in Belgium. He’s a new developer in the Qt/KDE/KDevelop world, but has already quite good C++ skills. Apparently he also has quite some knowledge about unit testing as he’s writing a tool to analyze xUnit code and visualize it.
The project itself aims to provide some infrastructure to ease the creation and execution of tests within KDevelop4, the most important deliverables are stub test template creation, report and coverage framework and a graphical test runner. The current plan includes supporting QtTest, CppUnit, Check and PyUnit.
I’m confident this will be a success as Manuel has already dived into possible solutions for some things, including contacting authors of existing test-runner tools to talk about collaboration.
I just got back home from the hackathon (well, I picked up keys for a new appartment also, so it wasn’t a 12 hour trip back). Its really sad that its now over, it was a really great time meeting all the people and putting faces to the nicknames. I would’ve liked to stay longer with all of the hackers.
We did quite some progres this week, trying to fix Ui problems (didn’t get around to all of them), making C++ support work more reliably, improving cmake support with language features, changing some API in some places to have more freedom and improving the debugger a lot. I was able to use KDevelop4 for hacking in the last 4 days which feels really great and finally forces us to really fix all those small annoyances.
I’m looking forward to more commits in the upcoming weeks, as I think everybody got quite a motivation boost.
And a big thanks to Harald for organizing the meeting and finding sponsors for it.
As I’m just re-compiling KDev4 I’ve got a few spare minutes to blog.
So we had a really great weekend with lots of interesting speaks and even more discussions about what we want/need to have in KDevelop4 and how things should work. The todo-list got ridiculously large (which is good actually) :)
And right now everybody except Hamish (who got a bit sick after last nights “Schweinshaxe”) is hacking to bring KDevelop4 into a usable state. The User interface got large fixes and the C++ support shouldn’t crash so often anymore. Actually I noticed that a release build of kdelibs+kdevelop is a bit more stable because assert’s are ignored.
Personally its really inspiring to sit here within a group of 10 other geeky hackers and get something cool done.
Oh and btw. I think we can now invite interested “testers” to try out kdevelop4, I’m using it since 2.5 days now and it is pretty usable already, albeit a tad bit slow and crashy in debug-build. So I’ll either start hacking on workspace support now or also do my tad bit of boring Ui stuff – not sure.
So, I thought it would be nice to eat fried potatoes tonight. And after the peeling came the slicing. Unfotunately part of my thumb got under the slicing knife (got such a nice tool with variable sets of slicing knifes and a plastic bowl to catch the slices). I guess I don’t need to mention the blade was pretty sharp, clean cut about 2 millimeters of flesh.
Thats how I came to write this entry with just my left hand and I don’t like that.