Today XServer 1.4 and with it new ATI driver entered Debian unstable. Unfortunately that breaks existing Xinerama Setups, but the helpful package maintainers very fast replied that I need to use XRandR 1.2 now.
So I tried and failed :( I do have an xorg.conf that “should” work, only one monitor,device,screen section no leftovers from Xinerama. But XRandR always tells me there are no modes for my CRT, even though it seems to find the modes just fine – at least the radeon driver prints them all in the log. More info on the Debian Bugreport #443122
Hopefully this will be resolved soon, the package maintainers seem to be very knowledgeable about the problems and are very responsive.
Today I played most of the KDE4 games from the kdegames module and I’m quite impressed. They look really “shiny and new” and will make a good impression IMHO. Also the interfaces seem to be more unified among the games.
There are some new games like bovo or ksudoku and unfortunately also some kde3 games that are not (yet) ported to KDE4 and thus not part of kdegames at the moment. The latter include a tetris clone, ksokoban and kpoker.
I couldn’t try ktuberling, or lets say I couldn’t find out what I am supposed to do except dragging and dropping things onto the potato – unfortunately khelpcenter doesn’t work :( Another thing I don’t find very intuitive is the gaming-interface of ksudoku, especially how left and right mouse button and keyboard-numbers work together. Obviously one can “scribble” two numbers into a field so to memorize that either of the two can go into that field (why only 2 here, why not 4?), however I couldn’t quite find out in what order those two are set by the right-button click.
The Graphics framework and SVG graphics seem to work really nice, except the initial drawing. When opening any of the games I get a rather small window so I maximize them, however the redrawing of the game board usually takes 30 or more seconds (1.4GHz Centrino with Radeon Mobility 9200 using open source driver in Xinerama Setup). Its rather extreme on knetwalk and I also see drawing “errors” on some of the boards (like unerased paintings on the border of the board – leftovers or something like that).
And there’s another thing that I miss very much: Choosing different card backs for KPatience, this is not just a nice feature but IMHO the current deck doesn’t have enough contrast to be easily visible. Its rather tiring to play with those cards, I have to stare at some of the cards to see their value. They do look really nice and rather artistic though.
No screenshots at the moment, because I’m too tired to do them and just in case the above doesn’t look too good: Of course I mentioned mostly the “downsides” I noticed because the rest is really great and I don’t know what else to write than “its great” :)
So, just a small update. There hasn’t been much work on kdev4 lately, well at least not stuff you can see as user. Alexander had a new idea for the problem of a scalable file-list widget, but it wasn’t very well received from other developers. David still works on code completion and also recently started to work on his teamwork plugin again. I implemented a new lexer for the Python support, which is handwritten just as the QMake one and uses QString as its input. Also I started to work on a new AST for the language, but I just found out I have to throw it away and start new :( This is done as the generated AST from kdevelop-pg is modelled very close to the grammar and thus has some node types that are not really needed. Also it will allow us to _not_ keep the parser and its tokenstream and location table around for the whole life-time of the DUChain.
Recently KDevelop3 was again moved to a separate branch. This is to allow us to integrate some features that we have sitting on the disk, but couldn’t commit due to the complete freeze of KDE 3.5. We asked for excemption, but didn’t get any answer from release team, obviously KDE3 is officially dead now ;)
So what happened there until now is a huge improvement for Ruby on Rails from Alexander, a couple of new C++ templates for completely empty projects and an improvement to the class inheritance diagram. That last one obviously didn’t get much love, but now I needed it to work on an AST in KDevelop4 so I made it non-modal and added a save button to store the image. Quite handy IMHO.
This weeked I will do one change in the c++ debugger to allow the user to choose which of the bottom gdb widgets should be activated after starting the debug session. Also QMake Manager will see two small improvements, one to support QtScript from Qt4.3 and the other one will allow the user to see only the filenames in the QMake Manager instead of relative paths.
Last but not least: The IRC backlog today showed again that KDevelop3′s main usage is development with C++. Chani chimed into #kdevelop and was searching for pressing reasons to favor KDevelop over Kate. Well, I have to agree, C++ is the best supported language with most of the features, including good code navigation and completion. However some of these things are shared among all language parts, for example the class view, the inheritance diagram and most importantly the quick open dialogs. So as long as the language support for your language does provide a code model there are some reasons to switch to KDevelop.