Switched Browser once again (almost)

May 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Posted in KDevelop | 10 Comments

I’ve switched away from konqueror about half a year ago as the amount of sites that weren’t working quite properly became too many and too important (like our internal wiki and ticketing at work). Konqi was also getting kinda slow back then. I never had the time and energy to pursue any of the problems as switching to something else was simply much easier and less time-consuming. Since then I’ve used Chrome, but I’ve always missed some things like kwallet-integration, re-using my existing konqi-bookmarks and it annoys me that it installs a deb-repo without asking.

After having read and heard quite some good things about rekonq I decided to try it out yesterday. And basically I’m sold :) It renders the pages I’m using regularly properly (as its also webkit under the hood), it supports my web-shortcuts (and I didn’t have to set them up to begin with), it reads my old konqi bookmarks and also has the developer-features. There are only 2 things keeping me from switching to it as my default: It only runs on 1 out of 3 machines as it needs Qt4.6, this is something that’ll be resolved over time. And it currently has an annoying behaviour that gives me an error page if some http-request fails, even if that request was made from an iframe, which completely breaks using it with our ticketing system (bugreport filed already).

So yeah, I’ll keep a close eye on rekonq as I’d really love to switch back to a kde-based browser – I even already wrote a chrome-json-bookmarks to xbel converter to get my chrome bookmarks back into kbookmarks.

About these ads

10 Comments

  1. Nice that you like rekonq and your problems may be solved in an git checkout. Simply give it a try.

    • I actually am building it from git already and got one bug almost fixed already too.

  2. Rekonq is a really nice browser. I use it at work regularly. It needs a few things though. One of them is a plugin system to pick up stuff like a authentication certificate off a smart card of usb key. Of course, no other browser, other than Firefox, can do this right now — on Linux. Yes, not chrome not even konqueror — although I’ve tried to configure kleopatra for it but never got it working. Unfortunately, there is very little help/doco available for it around!

    So, for a very ‘practical’ use, Firefox is the only one — sadly!

    • Someone is working on getting Chrome extension compatibility in Rekonq.

    • I would be really interested to hear in which smart card you are using for authentication and whether it works as a primary means of authentication in Linux.

      And if you have any info as to whether it is possible for win-clients to authenticate against a samba server using smart cards, that would be double awesome.

      Thanks

      • I am using a USB key from ActivClient. It works as a primary means of Class-A authentication. Basically, it needs “coolkey” to be installed, plus some pam and pkcs11 packages. Here is the link if you’re interested:

        http://www.vanalboom.org/node/12

        As I mentioned earlier, the above works *only* in Firefox (other than IE but that does not count, does it?). No other browser, Chrome, Konqueror, Rekonq etc etc have any satisfactory mechanism for Class-A authentication.

        Sorry, I have no idea about win-clients authenticating against a SAMBA server.

  3. I’m currently quite happy with Konqueror plus the webkit kpart. Haven’t tried rekonq, so I can’t compare those solutions. Therre are about 3 web sites that are stubborn where I fire up a firefox, but that’s basically it.

    • Can you set Konqueror to use WebKit rendering engine by default? I have tried this but each time I have to manually switch to WebKit. Saving profiles does not seem to work either.

      • I don’t think thee’s a GUI to do this globally, but you can edit the kwebkitpart.desktop file: add a line “InitialPreference=11″ (khtml has 10) to make it the default everywhere (I’ve done this in the kpart-webkit package, so if you use Debian it’s done already.)

        In the GUI, you can set the default rendering engine per MIME type in the “File Associations” configuration. Tedious, since you have to set this for all MIME types, and even then it has not always worked for me.

        • Exactly my point. If we have simpler way of making WebKit default in Konqueror, there would be no need for a new browser (such as rekonq.)

          I believe KHTML devs are being a bit “stubborn” in this case :)

          Good strategy is always to recognise what has been bettered by another technology and adapt accordingly. WebKit has definitely surpassed KHTML long ago.

          No wonder I don’t use konqueror for what it was primarily meant: web browsing!!


Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Blog at WordPress.com. | The Pool Theme.
Entries and comments feeds.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: